Look After Your Brush
GOOD GENERAL CARE OF YOUR BRUSH WILL PROLONG ITS USEFUL LIFE.
Cleaning your hairbrush
A cleaning brush is supplied with the three larger sizes of hairbrush and should be used for cleaning both the pad and the bristles. Follow the cleaning instructions below and you will keep your Mason Pearson hairbrush in first-class condition even after many years of use.
Dry clean it frequently
Dead hairs and scales from the scalp can clog the pad and bristles of your hairbrush.
- Loosen any ‘woven’ strands with a comb. Insert the comb at the sides of the brush as near to the pad as possible and follow round the whole circumference of the brush, raking the hair away.
- Draw the cleaning brush across the bristles from one end of the pad to the other and then diagonally.
Wash it occasionally
Grease in contact with the rubber pad causes deterioration. Similarly, this applies to hair preparation, oils or chemicals which are likely to remain on the brush after use. In such cases frequent washing is advised.
- Dry clean the brush as above.
- Make a lather of lukewarm (never hot) soapy water. Do not use detergents, ammonia, petroleum-based products or shampoos to clean the hairbrush.
- Dip the cleaning brush only, and NOT the hairbrush, into the soapsuds and use it to brush the bristles of your hairbrush in the same way as for dry cleaning. Hold the hairbrush so that the head is pointing downwards and no water can enter the little air hole at the end. This should never be blocked, either when cleaning or when the brush is in use.
- Dip the cleaning brush in clean rinsing water and repeat the brushing movement.
- Shake the hairbrush to remove moisture and leave to dry with the handle uppermost and the pad pointing downwards.
Never dry the bristles with a towel.
Nylon hairbrushes are softened if they become too moist. In this case, dry out the brush in an airing cupboard.
Important: Do not use products containing oils, spirits, solvents or other chemicals on your hairbrush. Do not use heated appliances directly on or near your hairbrush.